Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Be a Web Security Samurai

We have BackTrack Live CD for Penetration Testers with lots of tools from scanning to gaining root and 0wn a machine, BackTrack already has most of the tools that are needed by PenTesters but there this is a new kid on the block with a Focus on Web Security Testing Live CD named Samurai.This is what the Official Website of Samurai has to say..
"The Samurai Web Testing Framework is a live linux environment that has been pre-configured to function as a web pen-testing environment. The CD contains the best of the open source and free tools that focus on testing and attacking websites. In developing this environment, we have based our tool selection on the tools we use in our security practice. We have included the tools used in all four steps of a web pen-test.
Starting with reconnaissance, we have included tools such as the Fierce domain scanner and Maltego. For mapping, we have included tools such WebScarab and ratproxy. We then chose tools for discovery. These would include w3af and burp. For exploitation, the final stage, we included BeEF, AJAXShell and much more. This CD also includes a pre-configured wiki, set up to be the central information store during your pen-test."---------Looks like they have integrated all web security tools but the problem is how many CD's or USB drives should I carry with me?The problem with Linux is tremendous amount of forks happen within a very short span of time, We have WHAX Penetration Live CD, We have the wonderful Backtrack and now Samurai.Although they are all for different uses why can't just one Live distribution have it all, that is the reason I have created a Live Distribution with the tools that I need, which I carry with me. I know my need and the choice of tools on my Live CD might not be exhaustive like the ones above but I surely have what I need and even if there is something required badly I can always get it off the net while the distribution is running.What do you think ? Is it better to have your own custom distribution or carry many Special Purpose Live CD's with you.

-Abhiz

No comments: