Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Laptop Service Center leads to leakage of Personal Information and Blackmailing

There have been many instances where your data is at risk but one of the worst way to leak your data is giving your laptops to service center people. I have myself had a horrible experience with Authorized Acer service center where the bastard was supposed to replace the motherboard and in return he did gave me a new motherboard but replaced my cdwriter with a very old and used cdrom, stole my 1GB ram and gave me 256MB Ram, he even damaged the LCD and never accepted that they spoiled my machine. Luckily I had all my data encrypted on the HDD but not sure what went wrong. I was unable to access the data and lost all the data. That was a big blow but I wonder what that Acer Authorized service center moron would have done if he had my data. Here is a case where a leak happened from a Apple service center in delhi. Not sure if this is exactly true but one thing is sure.. The service center people are bastards as far as I know. One more thing.. Whenever I get a chance I always suggest people never buy acer, they are cheap initially but they will cost you double of what you have paid in the long run.. You can below read about the incident that happened with a musician's daughter.


"Delhi Police is investigating a case of blackmailing of young sitarist and legendary musician Pandit Ravi Shankar's daughter, Anoushka
and has arrested a Mumbai-based man who allegedly accessed her photographs stored in her laptop.

The man, whose identity has not been revealed, has been arrested by the Special Cell of Delhi Police following investigations in Mumbai after Ravi Shankar approached police last month complaining about the harassment meted out to his daughter, a senior police official said.

Police had last week registered a case under Section 386 of Indian Penal Code which relates to extortion by putting in fear of death or hurt and provides for a maximum punishment of 10 years in jail.

The official said the musician, who lives in the US, has told police that Anoushka had given her laptop to a service centre in south Delhi in February.

"We think that the material in the laptop was copied by someone. We interrogated the staff at the Apple Services Centre. Later, we zeroed in on the Mumbai-based man and arrested him," he said.

The man allegedly sent a series of e-mails to 28-year-old Anoushka, demanding money for not making public the photographs. The alleged blackmailer even asked for USD one lakh in one e-mail.

Police did not state as to when the man was arrested."

-Abhishek

No comments: