Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Puppy Linux 4.3 Out

Puppy Linux 4.3 is a massive upgrade from the 4.2 series, with almost all the components updated or replaced. Also, the whole system through which this Linux distribution is being built has been replaced with a completely new one, called Woof. The switch imposed the creation of a new package management system, called Puppy Package Manager, which supports the use of packages from any distribution within Puppy.

Puppy Linux 4.3 is powered by the 2.6.30.5 Linux Kernel, which is configured to support multiprocessor systems, EXT4 filesystems and is patched to work with Aufs2. Legacy dial-up modems are well supported, with drivers included for Agere, ESS, Lucent, Conexant, Smartlink, Pctel and Intel chipsets. More up-to-date methods of connecting to the Internet are also supported, including the use of 3G modems.

There are many more changes to puppy linux, I have one of my USB drives that has puppy 4.2 installed. I am currently downloading 4.3 to replace the old version with the new one and I am desperate to try out my 3G modem on puppy. If my 3G modem works that would be the best gift from puppy 4.3 upgrade for my birthday.

Cheers!

No comments: